Thursday, October 15, 2009

Perfection in Imperfection

I am a sinner - there I said it. I sometimes laugh at a dirty joke, stare too long at an image I know that isn't good for me, I judge people, gossip, lie, I entertain curse words in my mind, even though I don't say them all.  I am a human, a man, a descendant of Adam, a sinner... and yet, Christ still loves me and finds his home within my heart. Why?

Why did Christ choose humans to dwell in?
Why did he pick the one being that let him down in the beginning, to put his life, breath and spirit into?
Why make this body of rotting flesh and good for nothingness a temple for himself?

Why dwell in imperfection?


Do we put our most precious items in a dilapidated clay jar that may crumble at any second?
Do we take our finest brew that is $16 a pound or $4 a cup and put it into a broken mug?
Do we put new wine into old wine skins?

So why does God dwell in us?



Why does Perfection dwell in Imperfection?

A Psalm came to mind as I was thinking about this post. Psalm 51, verse 10 in particular stood out to me where it says "Create in me a clean/pure heart..." I like the word CREATE here.
Here is one definition from dictionary.com -

1.
to cause to come into being, as something unique that would not naturally evolve or that is not made by ordinary processes

God caused us to come into being, he makes us new (unique) if we are in him. We would not naturally evolve into the believers we are supposed to be unless he made us new.

God is a creator, he has to create, he loves it, he is addicted to it if you will. I think it brings him joy to create new hearts and minds and souls within his people. Maybe that is why he likes to dwell within us, he gets to create.

The Uncreated God creating within the Creation.
The Perfect God dwelling within the Imperfect being.
The Old Man becoming New at the hands of Perfection.
Perfection dwelling in Imperfection creating it to be like itself every day.

Food:
Psalm 51
2 Corinthians 4:7 and 5:17

No comments:

Post a Comment